At G Plan we're proud of the quality of our upholstery and we want you to enjoy it for years to come. In order to enjoy it to the full, here are some of the main tips to keep it looking good. You can also get more information in our eguide and care videos.
Important - if a fabric care treatment has been applied to your upholstery, please refer to your care treatment provider in the event of a fabric fault.
Cleaning your fabric upholstery
Due to the variety of fibre and fabric constructions used, G Plan recommends you use a professional cleaning company for your sofa. Alternatively you can seek advice from the store where you purchased your furniture.
Covers should never be machine washed or dry cleaned by a launderette as this can damage the fire retardant treatments, fade colours and affect the finish of the fabrics. Where zips are fitted, this is often to assist manufacture and does not necessarily mean the cover is removable for cleaning.
Care for your fabric upholstery
- Plump up cushions regularly.
- Lightly vacuum upholstery once a week to prevent dust build up.
- Direct sunlight can cause fading, so try to protect upholstery from direct sunlight where possible.
- Avoid sitting on the arms and try to prevent children from jumping on sofas as it can damage the sofa and cushions.
- Avoid sitting on the sofa with heavily soiled or non-colour fast clothes and avoid leaving newspapers on the sofa as the ink can stain.
- Care should be taken with sharp-edged objects, trim off any loose threads with sharp scissors.
In the event of a spillage, prompt action can reduce the likelihood of permanent staining.
- Remove as much of the spillage as possible with a spoon or blunt palette knife.
- Work towards the middle of the spillage to prevent spreading the stain.
- Soak up liquids with a clean cloth, towel or kitchen paper without rubbing the stain.
- Blot up as much of the spillage using a damp cloth (not wet) with warm clean water, again without rubbing.