Useful tips to help keep your sofa and chairs looking their best
It doesn't take much effort to look after a genuine G Plan sofa, chair or suite. A little love every now and again will help keep all your furniture in tip-top condition and help minimise the effects of everyday wear and tear.
- Plump up sofa cushions regularly to stop them from creasing and flattening. Turn reversible cushions regularly to enhance their appearance and comfort.
- Where possible, reposition upholstery in your room to give more equal seat usage.
- Lightly vacuum fabric covered upholstery once a week to prevent dust from building up. Accumulated dirt will dull colours and speed up wear.
- When cleaning leather sofas or armchairs, dust with a soft brush weekly and wipe with a damp cloth. Do not use polishes, detergents, solvents, white spirit or stain removers in case they damage the leather. Clean sofas or armchairs quarterly by wiping over with a lukewarm mild solution of a pure soaping agent. It is important to not over wet the leather. Failure to carry out simple cleaning on a regular basis can reduce the life of your leather upholstery. In the event of accidents or severe soiling, please contact your retailer or seek professional advice.
- Do not leave newspapers on your sofa or armchairs as the ink can stain.
- Avoid sitting on upholstery with heavily soiled or non-colourfast clothes, particularly with light coloured covers.
- Direct sunlight can cause fading, so protect your sofa or armchair by drawing curtains and blinds whenever possible.
- Avoid sitting on the arms of chairs and sofas to prevent wear and tear of the fillings, padding and fabric. While we know children love jumping on sofas they can damage the cushion covers and seat platforms.
- Care should be taken with sharp edged toys, buckles and jewellery. Trim off loose threads with sharp scissors as pulling threads could leave a hole.
- Recliner mechanisms should be operated with care and children should refrain from swinging on them.
- Keep furniture away from direct heat or air-conditioning as this can cause joints to dry out and crack.
- Keep pets off sofas and armchairs to avoid scratches or marks.
- Removable armcaps are available on selected G Plan models.
If you have any more queries, please contact your local stockist for details.